You might know that Botox is often used on the face to create a more youthful appearance. It is also used as a treatment for managing excessive sweating. For example, people who experience excessive sweating of the feet can benefit from Botox treatments. Our doctor at A Step Above Foot Care in Long Beach provides this treatment for the feet. Botox treatments involve administering injections of Botox directly into the feet. When the nerves are blocked by Botox, they are unable to send signals to the sweat glands to become active. The result is a significant reduction in sweating in the treated areas.
These treatments for the feet can benefit people with certain conditions, such as hyperhidrosis, in which the sweat glands are overactive. Normally, the sweat glands become active when your body temperature rises. However, hyperhidrosis is a condition that causes sweat glands to be active even when a person’s body temperature has not risen.
This condition can be very uncomfortable, such as having feet slide out of sandals because the soles of the feet are so wet. Also, the feet may have an unpleasant odor when they sweat.
How to treat sweaty feet:
- There are topical treatments such as sprays and roll-on medications that help decrease sweating.
- Washing feet with an antibacterial soap can help reduce the foot odor.
- Be sure to dry feet well after showering.
- Putting powder inside socks and shoes can help reduce moisture from sweating.
- Certain acrylic or synthetic blends of socks can help wick moisture away from the skin. Avoid 100% cotton socks as they tend to keep moisture on the skin.
- Soaking in concentrated black tea can also help decrease sweating.
- Iontophoresis is a treatment people can use at home to reduce excessive sweating. People can purchase an iontophoresis machine, which uses water to conduct a mild electrical current through the skin.
- Oral medication, often anticholinergics, can be used.
- There are surgical treatments to cut nerves to stop the excessive sweating.
- Botox injections
One benefit of Botox treatment is that it is non-surgical. Another benefit is that people don’t need to apply anything daily to the feet, as Botox injections can stop excessive sweating for six to eight months. Our podiatrist can discuss how often treatments might be needed to achieve maximum results. Most patients enjoy significantly reduced sweating within two to seven days of the treatment. Complete or near-complete dryness is usually achieved within two weeks.
If you are struggling with excessive sweating in your feet, we can help. If you are interested in learning more, schedule an appointment with our doctor by calling A Step Above Foot Care at (562) 429-5300.